Many of us make mistakes of not putting braces on our teeth when it is the high time. When your tooth has lost its shape and alignment, to make them aligned, it is recommended by the oral dentists to put on braces. However, many people refuse to do so because of its insecurities like unable to chew food properly, pain, and many more.
The basic idea of putting braces on the teeth is to gradually move the teeth to a better position to improve your physical as well as your oral appearance and to prevent a variety of oral diseases like tooth decay, gum disease, bad mouth odour and chewing. Braces here comes a boon for your oral health, seriously, believe this! Putting braces can help in improving your smile and confidence like a boss!
However, there are many types of braces which are available according to your interest including ceramic, plastic, and the traditional metal wire. Orthodontists recommend that braces can easily correct your misaligned tooth and prevent various dental diseases before they crop up. In order to understand better and in detail, we bring you some techniques and information about the dental braces. Keep on reading!
How long does the dental brace process take?
The dental brace process usually takes between 1-2 hours to complete.
What will an orthodontist do?
First of all, don’t worry about the pain if you’re feeling it, somehow. Let us tell me before it starts that, the orthodontist will thoroughly clean and dry your teeth and will apply some bonding glue. The bonding glue might feel a bit unpleasant to you, but it’s totally worth! Next, the dentist will attach the brackets with the help of that bonding glue. The brackets might be small metallic or ceramic squares. The last step would be when the orthodontist will place the archwire (the wire that connects your teeth) in the brackets and secure it with elastic bands.
Also, read: 9 tips to increase height after 25 age
Do braces hurt? For how long?
When you put braces on your teeth, it generally doesn’t hurt, but your teeth and mouth will be sore afterwards. So, expect yourself to be a bit uncomfortable for about a week.
Tips for dealing with the braces pain
- Make it a point to stick to more soft foods for the first two days like- soup, yogurt, mashed potatoes, milkshakes, applesauce, scrambled eggs, mac and cheese, etc., to avoid any such major pain.
- If you feel pain, don’t feel scared, you can use pain relievers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen to reduce tooth pain, though it’s not very recommended to use painkillers, it’s an easy way out if the pain becomes unbearable.
- You can also use orthodontic wax in the first few weeks of your treatment to avoid mouth sores. This wax is easily available at an orthodontist’s office or a drugstore. Use as much wax as you feel the pain to get it lesser. To apply the wax, just squash some between your fingers and press it on the brackets that are bothering you.
- After the treatment, try to avoid sucking on or touching your mouth sores or teeth with your tongue or fingers. Because the more you will do this, the more it will pain you.
- Avoid drinking acid water and food which contains acid like tomato, etc. as they will irritate your mouth sores.
- Mouth sores can also be caused by accidentally biting the inside of your cheek because you are not used to it. So, don’t be an absent-minded person. Instead, remember that you have put on braces now and take care of your oral health.
- Try using oral anesthetic like Anbesol or Orajel to fix the painful areas for temporary. Get a small amount of the anesthetic on cotton and apply it to the sores in the mouth. The gel will numb the spot and completely remove the pain but for a short period. Apply this method at night to experience its best.
- Your lips and gums may develop sores because they are not used to the roughness of the braces yet. To eliminate it, make a weak solution of warm salt water (1/2 tsp of salt per cup of water) that will quickly ease the irritation. Rinse your teeth with warm salt water several times per day.
- Finally, once your mouth gets to adjust to the braces, all of the pain and irritation will go away, and it’ll become easier for you to survive.
Must-Read: 5 Sugar types that are good for your health
How long will it take to get used to your braces?
- It will take about a month to get used to the braces. Even after six months or sooner, you’ll correctly notice your aligned teeth. You’ll be feeling more happy and confident. Trust it! In case, if you feel such major teeth pain, apply some over-the-counter pain reliever that will work wonders for your teeth. No worries!
To get your braces done before your oral health get disturbed, make sure to visit the best dental clinics. You can also head to dental clinics that work dental braces in Gurgaon to experience the treatment better and in the best ways.