Storms, excessive heat, and increased demand on power systems can cause homeowners to be without electricity from time to time. Each year, Americans experience an average of 1.3 power outages. Some of these may last a few hours, while extreme cases can last a week or more.
Whether you want to protect yourself during a blackout or need a portable power supply for camping and other outdoor adventures, a portable solar generator is a must-have product. Because they harness solar energy, they are efficient and low-maintenance. Read on to learn how to choose the best solar generator for your needs.
What is a Solar Powered Generator?
A solar-powered generator uses solar panels to collect and hold electrical energy for times you need it most. This can be essential during power outages to power lights, appliances, or other essential household products. Like their gas-powered counterparts, they come in a wide range of sizes, styles, and capacities.
Solar Powered Vs. Gas Powered Generators
Gas-powered generators have been a mainstay among homeowners and camping enthusiasts for a long time. They can provide a lot of power and run for extended periods. But they are loud, messy, and require frequent maintenance.
Advancements in the solar industry now make solar-powered generators a great option. They cost less to operate over time, are silent during use, and require little to no maintenance.
If clean, efficient energy is important to you, buy a solar generator.
What Kind of Portable Solar Generator Should I Choose
There is a wide range of options when it comes to a solar-powered portable generator. To find the right one for you, consider the following:
- Battery capacity – Check the battery’s total capacity to ensure it will power all the devices you need on a camping trip or during a blackout.
- Weight/portability – You’ll find some generators that weigh over 100lbs. Generators of this size usually have wheels to make it easier to move them about, but consider a generator you can pick up and carry, if necessary.
- Charge speed – This is a big deal. Make sure the generator you choose can charge fast enough to keep up with the demand you place on the unit.
- Number and type of plugs and ports – Some portable generators only have a single 110v outlet or a pair of USB ports. This might not be enough to handle your needs. Look for a generator with enough ports and the right kind for your devices.
- Battery quality – Your solar power generator is essentially a big battery that is recharged with solar panels. Lithium batteries have a set capacity and number of recharge cycles. Higher-quality batteries will allow you to recharge more often and maintain a higher energy capacity.
Be Prepared for Anything
Whether it’s inclement weather, camping trips, or unexpected power outages, a portable solar generator can be a game-changer. It provides electricity when you need it most without the noise and hassle of a gas-powered generator.
To make sure you choose the right model for your needs, consider how much power you need to generate, how fast the generator can be recharged with solar panels and the number of power outlets it provides. Also, look for a generator with high-quality lithium batters to ensure long life and maximum power capacity.
To learn more about solar power, portable generators, and other technology tips, please explore the rest of our site.