irefighters are warning the public not to mix lit cigarettes with alcohol-based hand sanitizer, after that combination ignited a dramatic vehicle fire in the parking lot of a shopping mall on Thursday in Rockville, Md.
Read more: Cat survives fifth-floor jump from window of burning building
The driver was holding a lit cigarette in his mouth and slathering his hands with “copious amounts of hand sanitizer” just before the fire, according to Montgomery County Fire spokesperson Pete Piringer.
“While working sanitizer into his hands, embers fell from (the) cigarette in his mouth, igniting sanitizer and some clothing.”
Aerial footage from the scene shows the car completely engulfed in flames and billowing a column of thick smoke on Thursday afternoon, as fire crews rushed to put it out.