What is a life coach? What do life coaches do? Many people have a limited understanding of these coaches and their skills. They underestimate the field and believe nearly everyone can become a successful coach with little to no effort. Unfortunately, that’s not true and most prospective coaches that take a lighter approach end up failing. Being a professional coach requires effort and dedication along with some investment.
What is a Life Coach?
A life coach is an expert with the skills and training required to help people progress. Life coaches listen to the client’s problems, determine the underlying root cause, and then come up with an actionable plan to improve the client’s circumstances. A good life coach will provide tailored advice based on your unique circumstances. Here’s a look at what a life coach can do:
- Listen to your concerns and understand the underlying causes of the problem.
- Come up with a clear plan of action on how to address those underlying problems.
- Offer consistent support over the long term until the client is back on their feet.
- Help identify obstacles that may cause issues down the line.
- Focus on strategies that provide long-term relief.
Be sure to research ‘What is a life coach?’ online to get a good idea of what to expect. You can also explore the resources on our website to know more.
What can a Life Coach Help With?
As a life coach, it is your responsibility to help clients improve their overall quality of life. Here’s a look at some things coaches can help clients with:
- Relationship issues with partners, spouses, children, parents, or siblings.
- Progress with work and career.
- Life skills coaching.
- Advice on fitness and overall wellness.
- Help with education.
- Help with learning new things like languages, music, and art
These are just some of the areas where a life coach can help. This field is very adaptable so when life coaches can apply everything they have learned to a wide range of applications.
How Can You Become a Life Coach?
Becoming a life coach isn’t as straightforward as it used to be. Before this profession became popular, people with no formal training offered life coaching services. These professionals relied on their experience and insight to help their clients. Many successful and well-known coaches started that way. However, most modern experts have a solid foundation and a few background qualifications. Here’s a look at how you can become a life coach too:
- Training – The first step is to get training or coaching from a reputable institution. Organizations like Evercoach by Mindvalley have a good reputation and comprehensive course offerings. You can learn from master coaches and participate in programs that last anywhere between 3 and 5 weeks. Evercoach has more than 500 hours of training available.
- Setting Up a Practice – Once you have completed training, you can set up a life coaching business. We recommend creating a one-page website to explain all of your services and providing an online coaching option as well. Life coaches can get more clients if they offer both online and offline services. Be sure to explain what you’ll offer and how people can communicate with you.
- Invest in Branding – Setting up a personal brand is vital if you want to succeed in the life coaching industry. Most of your clients will be attracted to the brand and will be more likely to remain loyal if you have one. Make sure you have brand imagery that fits your aesthetic.
- Networking – Networking is an important aspect of being a life coach. You will need to attend events, speak as a guest lecture, communicate with other industry influencers, and maintain connections with past clients. Regular networking can help new professionals establish a strong reputation and brand presence in the industry. Click here to learn further on how to become a life coach with a free checklist and business template.
Evercoach in Mindvalley doesn’t just teach students how to help clients, we also provide detailed instructions on how to set up your own practice. You can take a course or two to understand the important aspects of running a business. Students can also speak with experienced mentors on the matter to get the most nuanced advice.
You can also take a look at our life coaching guide to know more about the field and how to begin. A certificate from a well-established institute like Evercoach can help you reach new heights in the industry and provide a platform that will help you grow further.