Tokyo 2022 in mind, Indian wrestlers all set for Asian qualifiers, watch live. A 14-member Indian wrestling team, including national champions Sandeep Singh Mann and Sonam Malik, will compete at the continental event. Watch them live!Tokyo 2022 in mind, Indian wrestlers all set for Asian qualifiers, watch live. India will pin their hopes on Sandeep Singh Mann and Sonam Malik when the Asian wrestling Olympic qualifiers begin at the Baluan Sholak Palace of Culture and Sports in Almaty, Kazakhstan on Friday.
Watch Asian Wrestling Olympic Qualifiers Live
The continental event is the penultimate opportunity for Indian wrestlers to earn an Olympic quota for Tokyo 2022. The world qualifiers from May 6-9 will be their final chance.
India, so far, have secured four freestyle quotas places — Ravi Kumar Dahiya (57kg), Bajrang Punia (65kg), Deepak Punia (86kg) and Vinesh Phogat (women’s 53kg) — for the Tokyo Olympics.
Hopes on national champion Sandeep Singh Mann
At the Asian qualifiers, newly crowned national champion in the 74kg freestyle category Sandeep Singh Mann will take centrestage.
The 21-year-old from Punjab won the senior nationals earlier this year and was also on top of his game at the national trials. Sandeep’s wins over world championships medallist Narsingh Yadav and former Asian champion Amit Dhankar helped him make the Indian team for the Asian qualifiers.
At the Asian meet, Sandeep Singh Mann’s biggest challenge will come from the two-time world championships medallist Bekzod Abdurakhmonov of Uzbekistan.
Also in the mix are the 2012 London Olympian Lee Seung-chul and the 2018 Asian Games bronze medallist Gong Byung-min.
Sonam Malik to lead India’s challenge in women’s wrestling
The young Sonam Malik also had a terrific run in the domestic circuit.
The 18-year-old Sonam beat 2016 Rio Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik twice this year: for the senior nationals 62kg title and later at the national trials to make it to the Indian team.
At the Almaty event, Sonam will have to watch out for the two-time Asian Championships medallist and local hope Ayaulym Kassymova, former world champion Sükhee Tserenchimed of Mongolia and Uzbekistan’s Nabira Esenbaeva.
Meanwhile, the 50kg category will see the grapplers divided into two groups with the group winners earning the Olympic quotas.
Opportunities for Greco-Roman wrestlers
Leading the Indian challenge in Greco-Roman wrestling will be Gurpreet Singh (77kg) and Sunil Kumar (87kg).
While Sunil Kumar became the first Indian Greco-Roman wrestler in 27 years to win an Asian title in 2022, Gurpreet Singh bagged the Matteo Pellicone Ranking Series event title last year.
Indian wrestling squad for Asian Olympic Qualifiers
Men’s Freestyle: Sandeep Singh Mann (74kg), Satyawart Kadian (97kg) and Sumit Malik (125kg)
Greco-Roman: Gyaneder (60kg), Ashu (67kg), Gurpreet Singh (77kg), Sunil Kumar (87kg), Ravi (97kg) and Naveen (130kg).
Women: Seema Bisla (50kg), Anshu Malik (57kg), Sonam Malik (62kg), Nisha Dahiya (68kg), Pooja Sihag (76kg).
Asian wrestling Olympic qualifiers schedule and live India start times
(GR = Greco-Roman, WW = Women’s Wrestling, FS = Freestyle Wrestling)
All times are Indian Standard Time (IST)
- Friday, April 9
- Qualification rounds (GR – 60, 67, 77, 87, 97, 130kg) – 10:30 AM IST – 12:30 PM IST
- Semi-finals (GR – 60, 67, 77, 87, 97, 130kg) – 12:30 PM IST – 1:30 PM IST
- Repechages (GR – 60, 67, 77, 87, 97, 130kg) – 1:30 PM IST – 2:00 PM IST
- Finals (GR – 60, 67, 77, 87, 97, 130kg) – 5:30 PM IST – 8:30 PM IST
- Saturday, April 10
- Qualification rounds (WW – 50, 53, 57, 62, 68, 76kg) – 10:30 AM IST – 12:30 AM IST
- Semi-finals (WW – 50, 53, 57, 62, 68, 76kg) – 12:30 PM IST – 1:30 PM IST
- Repechages (WW – 50, 53, 57, 62, 68, 76kg) – 1:30 PM IST – 2:00 PM IST
- Finals (WW – 50, 53, 57, 62, 68, 76kg) – 5:30 PM IST – 8:30 PM IST
- Sunday, April 11
- Qualification rounds (FS – 57, 65, 74, 86, 97, 125kg) – 10:00 AM IST – 12:30 AM IST
- Semi-finals (FS – 57, 65, 74, 86, 97, 125kg) – 12:30 PM IST – 1:30 PM IST
- Repechages (FS – 57, 65, 74, 86, 97, 125kg) – 1:30 PM IST – 2:00 PM IST
- Finals (FS – 57, 65, 74, 86, 97, 125kg) – 5:30 PM IST – 8:30 PM IST