Self-driving automobiles are a new invention in the modern world. Although we all know the rules and regulations about road safety, it is still unclear how they apply to self-driving vehicles, especially the liability. Let us look at the rules and how an attorney can help with the problem.
In the United States of America, there is no standardization of the rules governing self driving cars and accidents. However, different states have laws to handle them. Since there is a grey area about the legislation at a federal level, the local governments are filling the gap. The regulations consider the owners and the manufacturers of the vehicle.
Action to take when in a Self Driving Car Accident
There are several challenges a person suffers when they undergo an accident, whether with the autonomous or a vehicle with a driver. The incidents are traumatic and will affect an individual’s emotional, mental and physical health. Therefore, when in an encounter with autonomous automobiles, it is advisable to seek the services of a self driving car accident lawyer to help with the case. Below are some things you can do to help your claims;
- Do not leave the scene and wait for the police to assess the location. The authorities will write a report, and you need to be there to ensure it is accurate.
- You can take pictures of the incident to have evidence of the accident. It will help refer to the actual scene since sometimes it can be challenging to remember the outlook.
- Write down other details about the accident to help in remembering.
- Have the witnesses record a statement soon enough before they forget about the incident. You can have them commit to testifying at a court of law if need be.
- Immediately call your insurance service providers to report the incident. Waiting for a long time can cost you compensation.
- Regardless of the type of injury, it is essential to go to a hospital for a check-up. A doctor can determine your condition even when you do not have any visible injuries.
- Keep all records for the expenses during the process. It helps with the claims and reimbursement by an insurance company.
Both the manufacturer and owner of the autonomous vehicle are liable for damages when the automobile causes an accident. Here are the likely charges;
- The manufacturer; in some states, legislation will consider the manufacturer the driver since they are the vehicles’ developers. It means they will be liable for the damages that the automobiles cause. A lawyer can help determine any defects in design or product and negligence to build a case against the manufacturer of such vehicles.
- The owner; the laws differ, and an owner of a self driving vehicle can be liable to the damages of an accident because of their consent. They are the ones who allow the cars to function and need to take responsibility.
The legislation is not clear about self driving vehicles. Still, a qualified lawyer can help get justice when automobiles injure you.