Today, most Australian households consist of parents and 2 kids. For Australian adults, the most popular online activities are banking, emailing, shopping, video streaming, and web browsing. While for Australian kids and teens, the most popular online activities are gaming, social media, music streaming, and video streaming. Yet each family is unique. They have unique interests and needs. That is why choosing the best WiFi internet plans for family use is somewhat challenging. The best thing to do is to identify the amount of data and internet speed that is right for the household. Let’s make it simple here.
How Much Internet Data Does a Typical Household Needs?
Every online activity consumes a certain amount of data on an internet plan. They are commonly measured per megabyte (MB).
Here is a list of data usage per hour for the most common things we do online.
- Checking and sending email eats up 1 MB.
- Instant messaging uses 50 MB.
- Regular browsing consumes 60 MB.
- Online gaming eats up 80 MB.
- Streaming music uses 100 MB.
- Video calls consume 200 Mb.
- Movie and video streaming eat up 700 MB.
Modern Australian households may need unlimited internet plans as they are a big fan of online streaming services like BINGE, Disney+, Netflix, Stan, and Fetch TV.
How Much Speed Does a Typical Family Needs?
Australian NBN offers 4 different speed tiers for home internet. Each speed tier is designed to support several internet users within a household.
- NBN 12 with the greatest internet speed of 12 Mbps can support 1 to 2 internet users at the same time.
- NBN 25 with the greatest internet speed of 25 Mbps can support 3 to 4 internet users at the same time.
- NBN 50 with the greatest internet speed of 50 Mbps can support 4 to 5 internet users at the same time.
- NBN 100 with the greatest internet speed of 100 Mbps can support more than 5 internet users at the same time.
Besides the number of internet users, speed is very important in complex online activities.
- Browsing the web, chats, emailing, and instant messaging needs at least 1 Mbps internet speed.
- Music streaming, online gaming, and video calls need at 3 to 5 Mbps internet speed.
- Standard video streaming needs 5 to 10 Mbps internet speed.
- HD video streaming needs 15 to 25 Mbps internet speed.
- 4K video streaming needs 40 to 100 Mbps internet speed.
Based on the list, a typical family with 4 internet users can go well with NBN plans under a speed of 25 to 50 Mbps.
Top 3 Wifi Internet Plans for Family Use
Based on our initial assessment, we’ve come up with our top 3 internet plans for your household. Here they are.
Belong Standard Plus
This is an unlimited data plan with an evening speed of 40 Mbps at $70 per month. If you enter into a 12-month contract, you will have a $5 discount on your monthly payment during the lock-in period. You will also get the $60 modem for free. A Belong prepaid mobile sim with a credit of $80 also comes as a freebie of this NBN plan. Belong does not charge activation or set up fees.
Dodo NBN 50 Unlimited
This is an unlimited data plan with an evening speed of 41 Mbps at $70 per month. If you enter into a 12-month contract, you will have a $10 discount on your monthly payment during the lock-in period. You will also get the $120 modem for free. Dodo also offers a $10 discount on your Dodo electricity & gas bill and a $5 discount for Fetch TV. Dodo does not charge activation or set up fees.
My Republic Standard Plus
This is an unlimited data plan with an evening speed of 43 Mbps at $69 per month. If you enter into a 12-month contract, you will get the $109 modem for free. My Republic does not charge activation or set up fees.
We live in a world of ubiquitous phones, tablets are an ordinary day, and smartwatches are often talked about. But despite all these developments, only laptops are the weakest and most effective. Whether it’s for work, photo editing, email writing, document writing or regular contact with colleagues and family, we are here to help you find the best laptop for coding.